Tuesday 4 December 2018

End of Year Inquiry Reflection

Looking back over the last 12 months - what have been my critical successes?

I have been very happy with how focussed discussions and conversations has improved in my space over the course of this year.  Previously reluctant, (to the point of silent,) children are comfortable sharing an idea or two.

One child in particular, who used to cry throughout the day at the beginning of the year, now jokes with her friends and calls out answers on occasion, when she is excited that she might have the answer! This particular student, has progressed from a pre-emergent level of writing, to writing multiple simple sentences independently on her page. Her counting has improved from a sing song meaningless succession of numbers, to 1:1 counting and simple addition by counting all.

A number of the boys in my class, who would happily copy writing off the board but never offer their own ideas, have finally started to record their thoughts on the page. Albeit at times with the aid of the speak to talk ability of their iPad microphone. They join me in sharing the excitement of seeing their own ideas come to life. 

In general, the classroom atmosphere has calmed down as children have learned what is expected of them. We have a happy, busy and productive classroom as we finish off the year.

What things excite me as I look forward to next year? What am I wanting to achieve in 2019?

I am looking forward to a new cohort of Year 2s in the new year. I will have more of a balance of girls and boys with a mixture of leaning needs. There will be children who require a challenge, and others who will need a slow and steady, nurturing pace.

I have been accepted for the role of a Manaiakalani-Google Class OnAir teacher in 2019. I look forward to taking a critical look at my teaching and planning for learning. From my results in 2018, I feel that a focus on my writing teaching would be beneficial. Particularly, looking at how to engage my reluctant boys, who struggled to write independently, or in any great quantity.

Here are some relevant examples of my priority learners' work:

Independent work: She has made amazing progress!

Independent writing from a very reluctant speaker.

Independent writing from a priority learner.


No comments:

Post a Comment