Monday 4 March 2019

My Inquiry for 2019.

I am starting to put together the beginnings of my Inquiry for 2019.


 I met with my Inquiry group at our staff meeting yesterday afternoon and they have helped me decide on a starting point. I have struggled to narrow down my area of focus for this year as there is so much I can see that would be great to work on.

For now, it looks like I will inquire into "How can I raise the achievement of my students in Reading?" 

I am just beginning work with new groups for Reading this week, as we have just started cross-grouping within our space. I have two groups of three on Magenta, a group on the cusp of Red/Yellow, another group on Blue and a group of very capable Gold readers. I am thinking about how I can best make this combination work to my advantage. So I think I will begin by trialling a buddy system between my Gold and Magenta readers. The Gold readers can listen and assist with the Magentas re-reading their texts, and the Magenta readers can listen to the Gold readers practice reading to an audience.

I am keen to focus on my use of the Gwenneth Philips prompts that we have been receiving PD on in the school, particularly with my Magenta groups. I am also going to look carefully at my use of follow-up activities, to ensure they are truly targeting the students' needs. My very emergent group n particular could do with some tactile experiences to build their alphabet knowledge.

As I am also in a Manaiakalani-Google Class OnAir position this year, I will utilise the tool of videoing my lessons to see what discoveries I can make, about my teaching and the children's learning. I look forward to trying out a few different approaches and see where I am and how I'm feeling about it all at the end of the term!

No comments:

Post a Comment