Friday 23 February 2018

Getting the non-talkers to talk!

This year, my professional inquiry is going to be focussed on Oral Language. Too many students in my class struggle with finding the words to express themselves or share a story. I want to help them learn to speak in sentences and to understand what a sentence is. I want them to extend on their ideas and include more details. We will be working on having a conversation between two or more parties, that includes thoughtful questioning.

The challenge I face is that many of the children are not used to sharing their ideas themselves. They are willing to give one word answers to questions directed at them but not initiate their own sharing.

I hope that by regular, daily encouragement and scaffolded questioning, the children will at first, at least improve their confidence to share.


No comments:

Post a Comment