Monday 6 May 2024

Goals for Term 2


 This term I am enjoying the opportunity to integrate our school's Drama Inquiry 'Transformers' into my Reading Class through exposure to poetry and play performances. So far, I am seeing an improvement in engagement from all my learners in my Gold-Silver groups. I haven't yet taught poetry and plays to my Yellow groups, but look forward to including them more in this, as the term progresses.

I have been formulating hypotheses for my Inquiry and need to look at how I will be able to measure the progress that children will be making this year. Obviously there are the traditional tools of Running Record tests - which we usually do in June and November. These will add to the picture. I am also looking at how usage of Reading Eggspress and Sunshine Online can assist in my data collection. There are also the STAR tests from February to compare at the end of the year - particularly in the area of vocabulary.

So, what am I going to do in Term 2? What is my hunch/hypothesis?

Independent completion of tasks was very hit and miss in Term 1. I have collected the following data on how many tasks were uploaded to their Google Drives, how many were blogged and then I have rated their task completion on a scale of 0-3. 0 - being incomplete, 1 - somewhat complete, 2 - complete to the minimum standard showing no complexity of thinking and 3 - complete to a high standard. I am hoping to collate this data at the end of each term. I will be striving for all children to complete the majority of tasks to a high standard as one of my hypotheses is: "If I ensure the children complete their tasks to a blog post worthy standard then their achievement will progress measurably.

Term 1 Data Below: 


It is interesting to note that some children must be uploading their Reading work to the wrong folder, as they have managed to blog more than I found in their Reading folders in their Drives. This has been a valuable exercise as I can see some children with very high attendance are not completing their work even though I felt I was pushing strongly for this by the end of the term. It can be a little embarrassing to share that this is an area I need to work on, but hopefully by shining a light on where we are falling down, I will be able to see some good improvement over the course of the year!


No comments:

Post a Comment