Sunday 21 March 2021

My Professional Teaching Inquiry for 2021!

As stated in my final blog post of 2020, I am keen to focus on my Maths programme in 2021. 

My focus question is: How can I use purposeful teaching of mathematical language to raise the achievement of my learners in Mathematics? 

I am interested in how best to incorporate the professional learning we have had in Mathematics through the DMiC PLD over the last two years, with the more prescriptive approach through using the NZC Mathematics Books as a resource throughout the school this year. I would like to try to balance the two approaches, so as to ensure full and appropriate curriculum coverage while still giving children the rich discussion and problem solving approach. 

Looking at my Y3s PAT results, we can see our Y2s from 2020 did not retain enough number knowledge, particularly in place value and basic facts. Applying this knowledge to word problems and understanding the language used is also another big problem. I am mindful of mixing up my use of mathematical terms to ensure understanding of all terms that the children may come across. Eg. spelling out that the total number means to count all. I also think ‘language’ can incorporate visuals / resources that children need to be familiar with (eg. place value blocks) and will be mindful of using an appropriate variety throughout the course of the year. 

Working with Sonali Carter we are going to try planning together, using the NZC books as well as our own experience to push number knowledge retention, basic facts and teach our children explicitly how to apply this knowledge in various word problem situations. 

 I am going to investigate both the physical NZCM texts to understand how they break down the Mathematics Curriculum at my level, as well as the online resource material provided. I am going to rewrite appropriate problems to encourage discussion and authentic understanding with my own students. 

 I am using XtraMaths for the first time with my class this year. I am finding this a great way to encourage the knowledge base growth that is needed by my students to begin to tackle word problems with more understanding. 

 I am stepping my class through learning progressions more deliberately than I have before to ensure there is a good coverage of the basics - such as making 5, 10, doubles, halves and families of facts.

No comments:

Post a Comment